Imagine that you want to start subscribing to a local community solar garden in order to reduce your carbon footprint and save money on energy costs. How do you know which community solar company is the best for you? In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits of community solar gardens, how to choose the best company, and the top community solar companies to consider to start saving on your electricity bill. Community solar gardens offer a lot of great benefits, but many people don’t know how to subscribe to them. Here are some common challenges people have:
- Not knowing how to choose the best community solar company. There are a lot of companies out there, so it can be difficult to figure out which one is right for you.
- Not understanding the benefits of community solar gardens. Many people don’t know why they should bother subscribing to a community solar garden in the first place.
- Having questions about how community solar gardens work. There is a lot of confusion about how these gardens actually operate and whether or not they’re worth the investment.
Community solar gardens are becoming increasingly popular as people look for ways to reduce their carbon footprints and save money on energy costs. But with so many community solar providers out there, how do you choose the right one for you?
Developer / Manager
Developer / Manager
What is community solar?
Community solar, also known as a shared renewable energy system or subscriber solar, is a solar photovoltaic (PV) system that provides power to multiple homes or businesses connected together through the electric grid.
How does community solar work?
The output of the PV system is then divided among community solar subscribers based on their share of the system.
Community solar gardens are a type of community solar project that allows people to subscribe to a certain number of panels in the array. The electricity generated by the panels is then credited to the subscriber’s electric bill, offsetting the cost of their energy usage.
Now that you know what community solar is and how it works, let’s take a look at why you should invest in a community solar garden.
What are the benefits of community solar?
There are many benefits to subscribing to a community solar farm, including the following:
- You can save money on your electric bill. The electricity generated by the panels offsets the cost of your energy usage, so you can see significant savings on your monthly bill.
- You can reduce your carbon footprint. Community solar gardens help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by offsetting the use of fossil fuels.
- You can support the development of renewable energy. By subscribing to a community solar farm, you help to support the development of renewable energy and the transition to a clean energy future.
- It’s a great option if you cannot afford to install solar panels. If your contract does not include any upfront costs, a community solar subscriber can start saving on their electricity bills right away with the need to own solar panels outright.
Where are community solar farms located?
Since community solar farms are usually built on already-developed land, they can be located almost anywhere. Solar farms have been constructed at landfill sites, open fields, and on the rooftops of warehouses and other buildings.
This allows community solar subscribers to participate in the solar revolution while still getting the benefits of clean, renewable energy.
Plus, by being located close to where people live and work, community solar farms help to create jobs and boost the local economy. So, if you’re wondering where your community solar farm is located, chances are it’s not too far away.
And if you’re thinking about subscribing to a community solar farm, you can rest assured knowing that there are many locations to choose from.
How to choose the best community solar company in your area
Now that you know the benefits of community solar gardens, you may be wondering how to choose the best community solar company in your area.
Here are a few things to keep in mind in choosing a community solar company and subscription:
- The size of the company. A larger community solar provider may have more resources and be able to offer more competitive pricing, but a smaller company may be more responsive to customer needs.
- The company’s reputation. Make sure to research the company’s history and read customer reviews to get a sense of its reputation.
- The type of solar panels used for your project. Some companies use higher-quality panels that are more efficient and durable than others.
- The pricing structure. Some companies charge a monthly fee, while others charge an upfront fee. Make sure to compare pricing structures to find the best deal.
- The length of the contract. Most community solar gardens have a 20-year contract, but some companies offer shorter contracts.
See Related: Best Business Loans for Solar Energy
Pros and Cons of Community Solar
Community solar gardens have become increasingly popular in recent years as people look for ways to reduce their carbon footprints and save money on energy costs.
Choosing the right community solar provider is incredibly important but there are also other considerations for community solar customers that the provider cannot control. So, let’s evaluate the pros and cons of this type of solar energy.
Advantages of Community Solar
The pros of community solar include the following:
Community solar has a number of advantages over traditional solar energy. Perhaps the biggest advantage is that community solar doesn’t require you to install any equipment on your property.
This makes it a great option for people who live in apartments, renters, or those who don’t have the space or resources to install a traditional solar system. Community solar also allows you to take advantage of solar energy even if your home doesn’t get direct sunlight.
Another big advantage of community solar is that it’s often less expensive than traditional solar energy. This is because the cost of installing and maintaining a community solar garden is shared among all of the participants.
See Related: FarmTogether Review: Is It Legit or Worth It?
Disadvantages of Community Solar
The cons of community solar include the following:
One of the biggest disadvantages of community solar is that you may not be able to get as much energy from a community solar garden as you would from a traditional solar system. This is because these types of solar gardens are often built in locations that don’t get direct sunlight.
Additionally, the size of most community solar projects is relatively small, which means they can’t produce as much energy as a traditional solar system.
Another disadvantage of community solar is that you may not have any control over how the community solar garden is managed.
This means that the community solar company may make decisions that you don’t agree with, such as raising prices or changing the location of the solar garden.
Finally, it’s important to note that community solar projects are still a relatively new technology. This means that there aren’t as many companies offering this service, and the industry is still evolving. As a result, it’s important to do your research and choose a reputable community solar company.
Which states have community solar programs?
As of the current year, there are community solar programs operational in 26 states plus Washington D.C., with more states considering legislation to start their own programs. The states with the most community solar projects are Colorado, Minnesota, Massachusetts, and New York.
The most well-known community solar program is in Minnesota and is often regarded as the best solar program in the United States.
What is community solar?
Community solar refers to a solar power plant that is owned by a group of people, usually through a subscription or investment. The electricity generated by the plant is then shared among the members of the group. This allows people who may not be able to have solar panels installed on their own homes or businesses to still benefit from renewable energy.
Is community solar worth it?
Yes, it can definitely be worth it. Community solar offers numerous benefits, including cost savings, emissions reductions, and the ability to support renewable energy. While there are some initial costs associated with community solar, these are typically outweighed by the long-term savings. In most cases, community solar is a wise investment that can help you save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
What is the catch with community solar?
There is no definitive answer to this question. Some people argue that community solar projects can be less efficient than individual rooftop solar panels since they rely on a central location and can’t be customized to each home. Others argue mention that the cost of subscribing to community solar outweighs the savings on your electricity bill. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual to review the contracts, and the solar project and decide whether the benefits of community solar outweigh the potential downsides.
What is the largest community solar company?
Is the largest community solar company is Sunrun. Sunrun is a US-based residential solar company that offers community solar programs across the country. As of 2021, Sunrun had over 400 MW of community solar projects in operation or under development, making it the largest community solar company in the US.